I’ve been working in Community since before the tech industry had realized it could be a professional focus, and it’s been great to see the profession coalesce over the past decade. Here are some of my recommended resources for community professionals!
This page will be updated as I find new things worth sharing!
CMX is a large professional group for community managers that offers training programs, a jobs board, and a very active Facebook group.
Community Roundtable is another professional group with meetups and training opportunities, plus some great frameworks and research you may find useful.
Evan Hamilton has been in the business for a decade-plus as well, and does a very solid, concise weekly newsletter that I always enjoy.
- The Art of Community: Seven Principles for Belonging — If you only read one of these books, read this one. It’s foundational.
- Belong: Find Your People, Create Community, and Live a More Connected Life
- How to Handle a Crowd: The Art of Creating Healthy and Dynamic Online Communities
- Leadership: In Turbulent Times
- Get Together: How to build a community with your people
- Come Hell or High Water: A Handbook on Collective Process Gone Awry